These high protein muffins are oil-free, contain over a cup of shredded carrots and get an extra boost of protein from mashed lentils. The perfect high protein grab and go breakfast!
I really hope you guys aren’t tired of breakfast recipes yet, because I’m on a roll! Last week I shared the steel cut oats that turned me into a raving oatmeal fan, and a few weeks before that, it was (make ahead) smoothie city, and before that, I shared these freezer sweet potato waffles.
Today we are talking about lentils. In muffins. I know, that sounds weird, doesn’t it?
Hear me out! Lentils are so neutral…they really take on the flavors of whatever you pair them with. And in this case it’s applesauce, cinnamon, and shredded coconut!
Basically, I wanted to take your average muffin recipe and give it a big boost of protein (without protein powder, because I don’t do protein powder). This way, these high protein muffins have a whole lot more staying power.
These muffins are GREAT. I am actually working on a few more variations of them now, because they are so tasty!
For this batch, I started with this lentil muffin recipe, took out the oil and half the sugar (thank you, applesauce and Greek yogurt!).
Then I added two shredded carrots…finely shred them if you can. And I topped them with sweetened shredded coconut. The sweetness from the coconut is really great with the applesauce/cinnamon/carrot thing that is happening.
Not only are these high protein muffins totally easy to freeze and thaw, but they are KID-FRIENDLY! I consider it a huge victory when Kai devours a recipe of mine…the kid is notoriously picky. And these muffins are definitely a new favorite of his.
So, in case you haven’t heard, we are having a totally free 21-Day Breakfast Prep Challenge! (UPDATE: we are alternating meal prep challenges through the year. For information on our next challenge, check out this page!)
For the challenge, we are committing ourselves to spending one hour on the week-ends prepping our breakfasts for the week. I am e-mailing out recipes and shopping lists, and we will have a Facebook group to keep ourselves accountable and to share photos of our prep!
More make-ahead breakfast ideas:
- this round-up of 21 Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfasts is PACKED with healthy and delcious breakfast ideas
- this Berry Almond Breakfast Quinoa is a great gluten-free option
- and these Spinach, Feta & Egg Breakfast Quesadillas are one of my favorite savory breakfast recipes
- ¾ cup of lentils, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup plain yogurt (full fat, not light)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour (125 g, fluffed, spooned & levelled)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 medium carrots, shredded finely (just over 1 cup)
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a standard-sized muffin tray with parchment or silicone liners and set aside.
- Mash the lentils until smooth using a fork, or a food processor (preferable).
- Measure out ¾ cup, and mix in a large bowl with the eggs, applesauce, vanilla, yogurt and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined (do not over-mix). Fold in the carrots.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin liners, filling just to the top. Sprinkle with the coconut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.