Serve these simple but impressive domino potatoes at your Easter dinner! Thinly sliced potatoes are brushed with butter, sprinkled with sea salt and oregano, then baked to crispy perfection!
Is it really that time of year already? Are we discussing Easter?! Somehow, yes. It is almost Easter!
These days, holidays are a lot more fun. In previous (child-less) years, Easter was pretty low-key. But having a two-year old, Easter takes on a whole new meaning.
Looks like we’ll be doing the whole she-bang: Easter egg hunt (one at home, one on a farm), brunch, and because we have family visiting, most likely dinner! It’s secretly kind of nice to have an excuse to really get into it!
We won’t be cooking up a turkey or anything, but I know a lot of families do, and what goes better with turkey, or ham, or really anything, than potatoes?
Today I am partnering with BC Fresh to bring you this recipe. I’m excited to work with BC Fresh, because I grew up on their produce, and it has always stood out in terms of freshness and quality. When I see the BC Fresh logo at the grocery store, I know I am picking up the best quality ingredient possible.
Not only that, but I support local Canadian brands whenever possible. And let’s face it: in the Canadian winter, it can definitely be challenging to find Canadian-sourced produce. So when I saw the bag of BC Fresh Yellow Fleshed Nugget Potatoes, it was a no-brainer: you are coming with me!
Today’s recipe can really be used with any small yellow potatoes. BC Fresh offers a variety of 1 ½” to 2 ¼” small yellow potatoes that would work fabulously in this recipe, so be sure to keep an eye out for them!
So. It seems like you all like potatoes. Is that true? Because these Parmesan & Rosemary Potato Stacks were prettttty popular, as were these Cheesy Jalapeño Hasselback Potatoes. It got me thinking. We all just want to see new ways of serving up our favourite food, am I right?
So today, I have yet another fun way to serve up potatoes: domino potatoes!
Here’s the idea: slice the edges off your potatoes, into a ‘block’. Then slice your potatoes thinly on a mandoline. I HIGHLY recommend using the finger guard for these guys, because you want to slice up as much of these gorgeous potatoes as you can (and not your fingers!!)
Spread them out in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Repeat. Brush with butter, sprinkle with sea salt and some fresh oregano. Bake away.
The best part about these domino potatoes is that you don’t have to brush the butter in between each layer. That takes one heck of a lot of work out of it. And you end up with some show-stopper potatoes with crispy edges and soft insides!
For more information on the availability of BC Fresh products, be sure to refer to their Availability Chart!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by BC Fresh. Thank-you for supporting the brands that I love! As always, all opinions remain my own.
- 1½- 2 lbs of BC Fresh Yellow Fleshed Nugget Potatoes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- sea salt to sprinkle (roughly ½ teaspoon)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Brush a 9-inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- Slice the very edges off of the potatoes, to make a cube. Then place on a mandoline and slice into 2mm (1/8 inch) thick slices.
- Arrange in the skillet, spreading the potatoes out slightly. Repeat until the skillet is full. Don't be afraid to pack the potatoes in tightly, as they will shrink during baking.
- Brush the potatoes with remaining butter (you may not need the entire 3 tablespoons), then sprinkle generously with sea salt and pepper, and the oregano.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate the skillet. Bake for another 15-30 minutes, until edges are golden and crispy.
Calories 232 // Fat 12 g // Saturated Fat 8 g // Trans Fat 0 g // Cholesterol 38 mg // Sodium 0 mg // Carbohydrate 30 g // Fiber 3 g // Sugars 1 g // Protein 3 g
If your potatoes are longer, you may wish to slice them in half to make two square-shaped sets of 'dominos'. The square shape bakes better.
More Easter-worthy potato recipes:
- Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes with Sage Browned Butter from Floating Kitchen
- No-Fail (3 Ingredient) Roasted Potatoes from The Recipe Rebel
- Duchess Potatoes from Simply Recipes