Delicious savory waffles with shredded zucchini and cheddar cheese. Cornmeal makes these guys slightly crispy.
Round two on the zucchini recipes.
It is September. We should be past zucchini. That's sooo one month ago.
Yet I seem to have an unlimited supply right now, since this September has so far been mild and beautiful.
I have one GIANT zucchini in the fridge right now, and two more eyeing me from the garden.
Stop pressuring me, zucchinis!
This is another recipe that 'hides' the zucchini...If it wasn't for the light green specs in these waffles, you wouldn't even know it's there!
What you will notice, is the cheddar and cornmeal.
The cheddar flavor isn't overpowering but clearly marks these as 'savory' waffles.
The cornmeal gives these waffles the most amaaaazing texture. So light, and crispy! No soggy waffles here 🙂
These waffles came together pretty quickly...the batter is ready in around 15-20 minutes, and then you just have to cook according to your waffle iron instructions.
Once the first batch is out of the waffle maker, you might have problems stopping yourself from snacking on them. At least I did. I blame the baby. The baby was sooo hungry 😉
(PS- have you seen the movie "What to Expect When You're Expecting"? I loooove the part where Elizabeth Banks blames the baby for her flatulence. Her hubby looks at her and says "Was that you?" "It's the baby! The baby has gas!" she tells her him. That cracked me up so much, as my poor baby has been getting blamed for a lot of stuff lately!)
One more thing I can tell you about these waffles: They pass the freezing test! Popped into the toaster, they regain their original crispy texture, and are 'good as new'.
I have been trying ever so hard to fill up my freezer with easy meals for once the baby is here.
One problem: I keep eating what's in the freezer. Alas, these waffles didn't make it one week.
Once again...I blame the baby!
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Zucchini, Cheddar and Cornmeal Waffles
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Shred zucchini. Spread out on a plate lined with a paper towel and allow to air dry while preparing waffle mix. If zucchini still appears to be quite moist, you may wish to blot with additional paper towels or squeeze out excess moisture by pressing against a mesh strainer.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and vegetable oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and cheddar cheese.
- Spray waffle iron with spray oil. Spoon onto pre-heated waffle iron (we did one full soup ladle per serving), and cook according to waffle iron instructions. For us, this was around 4 minutes.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment