Italian sausage soup with farro is hearty and nourishing. Packed with spicy Italian sausage, tons of vegetables, and farro.
When the weather turns cool, there is nothing like a hearty bowl of soup to warm you up! I turn to this hearty lentil soup, or a bowl of this sausage and farro soup.
This sausage soup is spicy, full of flavor, and packed full of nourishing ingredients including garlic, onions, tomatoes and farro. Make it with a batch of homemade bone broth and you will take it up a notch!
Soup is one of my favorite meal prep recipes, because it is so freezer friendly…and this sausage farro soup freeze/thaws like a dream.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This Italian sausage soup with farro is
- ready in under 1 hour
- spicy and full of flavor
- full of healthy, nourishing ingredients that will fill you up
Wondering how sausage farro soup comes together? Watch the video below! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Tips for the BEST soup
I recommend getting all your veggies chopped, your sausage crumbled and your cans opened before you start cooking for the most efficiency.
Spice it up
The most important decision with this soup is which type of sausage you will use…if you like it spicy, go for the spicy Italian sausage. If you are serving to kids or want to reduce the spice level, pick a sweet Italian sausage.
Shortcut tip- save yourself some time by picking crumbled sausage (ie: out of the casings).
Farro is kind of a specialty ingredient, so if you have trouble finding it at the grocery store, I have a few alternatives for you:
- orzo (cooks very quickly!)
Use your best judgment when adjusting the cook time for these alternatives.
Cook now, enjoy later
Soup is such a great choice for meal prep! Here’s how you can prep this sausage soup ahead and reheat it later for easy meals:
- Fridge- this soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Freezer- portion it out and freeze for up to 6 months
Equipment- you can find my favorite kitchen equipment in my shop. For this soup, I recommend:
- pint jars- for single portions
- reusable freezer jars- to freeze larger portions
- 1 quart jars- another great freezer option: leave 1/4 of the jar empty and lid ajar until frozen
* a note if freezing in glass jars- allow soup to cool completely before freezing to avoid jars cracking
What other vegetables could I add to this soup?
Kale is great stirred in during the last 2-3 minutes, spinach as well. You can add almost any veggie!
Can I cook this in the Instant Pot?
While I haven’t tested, I feel very confident that this would work. I would try 10 minutes high pressure + 10 minutes natural pressure release. Let me know in the comments if you try this soup in the Instant Pot!
What should I serve with this soup?
This soup is the perfect blend of protein, vegetables and healthy grains. I would serve it with some crusty bread or some crackers.
More farro recipes
- Autumn Apple Farro Salad
- Farro Arugula Salad
- Mediterranean Farro Chicken Lunch Bowl
- How to Cook Farro
Italian Sausage Soup with Farro
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (chopped small)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped small)
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or bone broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup farro
- Cook sausage in a large pot over medium heat, breaking it up with a spatula until crumbled and almost cooked through (5-7 minutes).
- Add onion and cook for 7 or so minutes, until soft.
- Make a space in the middle of the pan and add the garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Add the carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, dried basil and farro.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the farro is cooked to your liking.
- This soup may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Re-heat until steaming hot.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.