These Asian chicken mason jar salads make for an easy and healthy work lunch! They can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for 4 days.
The first recipe of 2016 is here!
I'm not going to lie. I started with a really reeeeally easy one. Because I think this week is a tough one for everyone. Was yesterday like the Monday of all Mondays or what?!
So in case you need something super easy to prep for lunch, I have you covered. These Asian chicken mason jar salads only take 25 minutes or so to whip up and make for a nice, fresh, healthy work lunch.
This wasn't supposed to be a mason jar salad originally, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized this recipe would keep better in mason jars.
Place the dressing on the bottom. It is a tangy Asian-flavoured dressing made with rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and some honey. SO GOOD.
Then I put the sliced chicken on the dressing. I figured that putting the chicken on the dressing will help keep it from drying out.
Next: cabbage, carrots and bell pepper slices. That's it. SO SIMPLE.
By placing the dressing on the bottom of the jar, the cabbage and other veggies are kept from getting too mushy. That way these jars will keep for an extra few days.
You can also make these in regular plastic lunch containers and place the veggies on the top. I can't guarantee how long they will keep, but these Asian chicken mason jar salads will be good for four days in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to serve, shake everything out into a bowl and give it a good toss to get everything coated with the dressing. You will have a fresh and flavourful lunch salad that is crunchy and tangy. I can't get enough of it!
I did find that it wasn't enough to fill me up for the entire afternoon, though, so you would want to still have something else with it. If you are looking for super filling lunch recipes, check out these Cauliflower Cashew Lunch Bowls or these Peanut-Lime Chicken Lunch Bowls!
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Asian Chicken Mason Jar Salads
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce I use reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- Chicken Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking dish with foil and place the chicken in the dish. Cover the chicken with the olive oil and soy sauce, turning to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip the chicken.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, the time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes or more before slicing.
- Vinaigrette Shake all ingredients together
- Salad assembly Divide the vinaigrette evenly between 4 mason jars (or plastic lunch containers). I had between 1.5 and 2 tablespoons per jar.
- Distribute the chicken slices evenly between the jars.
- Top the chicken with cabbage, then carrots and bell peppers.
- Store the sealed jars in the fridge for up to 3 days.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Products used in this recipe:
Looking for more healthy lunch ideas?
- Middle Eastern Grilled Vegetable & Lentil Bowls with Falafel-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas & Tahini-Yogurt Sauce from Apples & Sparkle
- Vietnamese BBQ Shrimp Noodle Bowl from MJ and Hungryman
- 7 Spice Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls from FoodieCrush
Leave a Comment