Blondies are swirled with raspberry jam and cheesecake in this chewy and delicious dessert bar!
I’ve read that some blogging experts out there suggest that us newer bloggers create a blog focused around one particular theme. Ie: vegan. Healthy. Desserts only. 5 ingredients or less.
This way readers know what to expect when they visit your blog…it is your ‘brand’.
I sometimes wonder if I should change my focus to entirely healthy food…but then I quickly shake that idea off. Maybe I’m unusual in that I like desserts with butter, and am also perfectly happy to eat a meal-sized salad for dinner. But I really don’t think I’m alone…I think there are lots of us leaf-eating butter-lovers. Hands up if you are with me!
So I will happily keep creating healthy recipes…some indulgent recipes…desserts….and maybe a cocktail or two. I’m going to keep you all guessing, but at least it there will never be a dull moment!
I had visions of these blondies…beautiful colorful swirly blondies, just like you see above.
It isn’t often that my vision actually comes to life, and these blondies very nearly didn’t. There was too much cheesecake. Then I tried putting the jam in the cheesecake, which ended up too liquidy to swirl.
So finally, I decided to cheat on my homework, and check out Ashley at The Recipe Rebel’s Cherry Cheesecake Brownies (which look amazing!!). Ashley has her cheesecake swirling technique down pat: dollops of cheesecake, dollops of jam, more blondie batter on top, and then: swirl!
And I finally got my perfectly swirled blondies!
Not only are these blondies pretty, they are so delicious. So so so. I am a blondie expert…an expert in sunken blondies, that is. These ones had perfect, crinkly tops and the most amazingly chewy texture.
When I photographed them, they were still slightly warm and a bit gooey, but once they sit in the fridge for a few hours….oh my. So chewy…can’t beat it.
Plus there’s cheesecake involved, and raspberry swirls. I mean, you can’t argue with either of those, can you?
Ok. Now go forth and enjoy your Thursday. I hope there are blondies involved.
I will be back next week with a nice healthy salad to balance out all this sugar and butter 😉
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour (125g, fluffed, spooned & levelled)
- ¼ cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Set aside.
- Line a 9X9 inch pan with aluminum foil, and grease with spray oil.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the butter to simmer gently for 5 or so minutes to brown it. Keep an eye on the butter, as it can go from golden to burned very quickly. As the butter browns, stir frequently, and you will see small brown bits coming off the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the browned butter into a large bowl and add the sugar, mixing completely. Allow it to sit 5 minutes or so to cool, before stirring in the egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour until completely combined.
- Heat the jam in the microwave for 10 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- Spread ⅔ of the blondie batter over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Add dollops of the cream cheese mixture randomly over the blondie base.
- Add teaspoons of the raspberry jam randomly over the blondie base.
- Spread (as best as you can) remaining blondie over the cream cheese and raspberry jam.
- Gently run a knife along the length of the pan to swirl the mixture. As you can see from my photos they won't look very pretty at this point, however they will be much prettier when they come out of the oven!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until center is set (it shouldn't jiggle). Mine was perfect in 23 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.