Bake some deep dish pancakes with blueberries and almonds for an easy, hands off breakfast! Adapted from the popular Extra Fluffy Blueberry Almond Pancakes recipe.
Hi friends! Here I am, late on a Tuesday, sharing pancakes with you. HaveILostIt??
Nope. I seriously just shot these today (and shared behind the scenes on Snapchat, @sweetpeasaffron if you want to take a look!) They are so good I couldn’t wait to share them with you!
And these aren’t just any pancakes. These are adapted from my Extra Fluffy Blueberry Almond Pancakes, which has ended up being one of the most popular recipes on my site. Which is funny, because when I posted them, I thought they were ‘too boring’. I guess I underestimated the love for blueberries + pancakes. And fluffiness 😉
Well, in thinking of ways to revisit this post, I considered the fact that some people (ie: ME) aren’t great at cooking pancakes. It takes patience, the perfect amount of liquid, you have to set the timer 1000 times. PLUS. Some of us have other priorities in the morning (translation: COFFEE).
So what if we just threw all of the pancake batter into a skillet and baked it up? And then these deep dish pancakes were born.
To be honest I didn’t think it would bake through. I was quite certain it we were going to have a half-raw-half-burned pancake disaster on our hands.
But luckily I was wrong!
I placed a whole batch of the Extra Fluffy Blueberry Almond Pancake batter into a 9-inch cast iron skillet, and baked them up. After 25-30 minutes, it was cooked right through. That’s enough time to drink like 4 cups of coffee! Wooo!
This deep dish pancakes recipe serves about 4 people. So if you are having company over for brunch/breakfast, you could have one skillet in the oven, while making pancakes on the stove.
And if you are not having company over, you can slowly pick away at the entire batch yourself (<–that didn’t happen here, I swear! 😉 )
Here’s the rundown: these deep dish pancakes are pretty healthy: no butter, no oil, very little sugar. Their secret weapon comes in the form of Greek yogurt which gives them their fluffiness.
One whole cup of fresh blueberries, some sliced almonds and almond extract, and finally some lemon zest. Altogether: fluffy, slightly sweet, tangy, crunchy, so good.
Serve with syrup and extra blueberries!
See you Thursday with a suuuper easy dinner recipe 😀
Deep Dish Pancakes with Blueberries and Almonds
- 1 cup all purpose flour fluffed, spooned, leveled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup blueberries reserve 1/4 cup for the top of the pancakes; make sure they are as dry as possible
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch cast iron skillet with oil, and spread evenly with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and lemon zest.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the greek yogurt, milk, egg and almond extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Fold ¾ cup of the blueberries and all of the sliced almonds into the mixture.
- Scrape into the prepared skillet. Scatter the remaining blueberries on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle of the pancake comes up clean.
- Serve with syrup and extra blueberries!