Healthier Taco Casserole
This healthier taco casserole is loaded with your favorite taco ingredients, and the convenience of a casserole. Freezer & family friendly.
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 15 oz diced tomatoes or 19 oz
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning store bought or homemade both work great
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed; optional; they make this casserole VERY full!
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded; or Monterey Jack
- 4 tortillas 6 inch recommended; cut in half or to fit the casserole
Prep - Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a deep 9 x 9 inch baking dish with spray oil and set aside.
Cook meat - in a large pan sauté the ground meat, breaking it up with a spatula. Cook until no longer pink (around 10 minutes). Drain excess liquid and transfer to a large bowl.
Mix ingredients - to the bowl, add the diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, bell pepper, corn, and optional black beans. Mix it up until well combined.
Assemble casserole - layer the casserole in the baking dish: Start by covering the base with tortillas (arrange them so there are no holes). Next, add ⅓ of the mixture from the bowl. Sprinkle with ⅓ of cheese. Repeat with all remaining ingredients, finishing with cheese.
Bake - cover casserole and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Let casserole stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with tortilla chips, avocado slices, or greek yogurt. see recipe notes for freezing instructions
Instructions for freezing
To bake from frozen
- assemble up to the baking step, but don't bake.
- wrap in tin foil, label with the baking directions, and freeze.
- store for up to 3 months uncooked in freezer.
IMPORTANT - if you are planning to bake from frozen, make sure that you freeze in a metal baking dish (not glass!), to avoid risk of shattering.
To bake after thawing
- heat oven to 350°F
- bake frozen casserole (covered) for 55 minutes
- remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through
- heat oven to 350°F
- bake thawed casserole (covered) for 20 minutes
- remove cover and bake another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through
- Cool completely after baking.
- Store in the fridge in the baking dish (covered), or portioned out into meal prep containers for up to 4 days (best consumed within the first 2-3 days to avoid mushy tortillas)
- Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot, or reheat entire casserole (covered) in a 350°F oven for at least 15-20 minutes.
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 474mg | Potassium: 466mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1035IU | Vitamin C: 34.2mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 3.3mg