Hearty Vegetable Soup
Cozy up with a bowl of fully loaded vegetable soup! With a flavorful tomato broth and fresh vegetables, it tastes way better than from a can, and keeps well in the fridge.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 celerry ribs peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower florets cut into 1 inch or smaller pieces; see note 1
- 1 cup zucchini cut into 1 inch or smaller pieces
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes including juices; see note 2
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 15 oz can of kidney beans drained and rinsed; see note 3
Sauté onions- Heat olive oil in a 4 quart or larger pot. Add the onions, and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until they are soft and translucent.
Add garlic- Make a space in the middle of the onions, then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, until it is fragrant and cooked through.
Simmer- Add the carrots, celery, cauliflower florets, zucchini, basil, oregano, salt, bay leaf, diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure nothing is stuck. Place the lid on the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes. You want the carrots and celery to be soft.
Add kidney beans- Before serving, remove the bay leaf, and stir in the kidney beans. Taste and adjust salt if needed *see note 4
1- fresh or frozen cauliflower can be used, but try to stick to 1 inch or smaller cauliflower florets
2- for added flavor, consider adding flavored diced tomatoes such as fire roasted, garlic + herb, or Rotel
3- kidney beans can be swapped for your favorite fully cooked beans; chickpeas, white beans or black beans will all work
4- add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (1 tablespoon) and ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese for added flavor
Heat individual servings in the microwave until steaming hot. Heat larger portions in a pot over medium heat on the stove for 15-20 minutes, until warmed through.
Other veggies you can add
- fridge- cool completely, then cover the pot, or portion out into storage jars. Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- freezer- cool completely, then portion out into glass or plastic freezer jars. Leave ¼ of the jar empty to account for expansion, and leave lids ajar until the soup is fully frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- green beans
- corn or peas (fresh or frozen)- add with the kidney beans
- kale or spinach- add with the kidney beans
- potatoes or sweet potatoes
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 955mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3915IU | Vitamin C: 22.6mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3.1mg