Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This cozy butternut squash soup recipe is creamy and rich, with a delicious hint of sage and maple syrup. The perfect blend of sweet and savoury, it's ready in under 30 minutes and is great for meal prep!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves or ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 6 cups butternut squash cubes peeled, seeds scooped out and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk dairy, almond milk, coconut milk all work
Sauté - in a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the olive oil for 5-7 min, until translucent. Add the sage and cook for another 1 minute or so, until fragrant.
Simmer - add the carrots, butternut squash, stock, maple syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots and squash are tender.
Blend - add the cup of milk and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy (1-2 minutes). Alternatively, you could very carefully transfer to a stand blender and blend until smooth.
Storage + Reheating
Here’s how to store this butternut squash soup after cooking:
- Fridge – store in an air tight container for up to 4 days
- Freezer – freeze in a glass or plastic freezer jar for up to 3 months; make sure it is completely cooled before freezing
- Thaw – thaw for 48 hours in the fridge, or immerse the jar partially in cold water for a few hours to speed the process
- Reheat – heat on medium heat in a pot on the stove; stir occasionally until warmed through
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 569mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 18345IU | Vitamin C: 32.2mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 1.3mg