Instant Pot Chicken Breasts with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
Instant Pot chicken breasts with sun dried tomato cream sauce makes a restaurant-quality meal in under 30 minutes! You can assemble it ahead to save time.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts see note 1
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes oil drained, chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional; adds a bit of spice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
After reducing the sauce
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ cup heavy cream see note 2
Assemble- In the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot, add the stock, sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir until combined, then add chicken breasts. Turn to coat in the sauce.
Cook- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the steam release handle to the 'sealing' position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. When the Instant Pot completes its cycle, perform a quick pressure release: carefully transition the steam release handle to the 'venting' position.
Transfer chicken- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken breasts have reached 165°F. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and allow to rest on a cutting board.
Reduce sauce- Select the 'sauté' function of the Instant Pot, and allow cooking liquids to simmer for 7 or so minutes. When liquids are reduced to about ⅓ of a cup and you can see the bottom of the pot as you stir, they are ready.Use oven mitts to remove the stainless steel insert from the base of the Instant Pot so it doesn't over-reduce, then stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Slice the chicken against the grain, and spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve.
1- Adjusting the recipe:
2- Look for a cream with 33-36% fat; if you're in Canada, use 'whipping cream'. Milk or almond milk will not work for this recipe.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Heat in a frying pan, or in the microwave until steaming hot, and sauce has loosened up a bit.
Freezer Instant Pot Meals
Make sure to label your container with cooking directions.
- To increase the serving size- drag the number beside 'serving size' above on the recipe card. Keep the cook time the same.
- To swap for boneless chicken thighs- adjust the cook time to 10 minutes high pressure with quick pressure release
- To swap for frozen chicken breasts- for frozen separately (not in a block)- 12 minutes high pressure with quick pressure release; check they have reached 165°F
- frozen in a block- cook for 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release. Pry chicken breasts apart. Cook for another 7-10 minutes with quick pressure release, and check they have reached 165°F.
Instant Pot size- this recipe has not been tested in an 8 quart Instant Pot. If you try it, drop us a comment below!
- In a freezer bag, silicone bag or meal prep container, combine the stock, sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic, and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts, turn to coat in the sauce, then squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 459mg | Potassium: 841mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 905IU | Vitamin C: 5.7mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 1.7mg