Curry Yogurt Chicken Marinade
This simple curry yogurt chicken marinade tenderizes the chicken and infuses it with delicious Indian curry flavor. A delicious recipe to serve with potatoes, naan bread of cauliflower rice.
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (see * notes)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder (see ** notes)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 breasts)
Combine yogurt, lime juice, salt, curry powder and brown sugar in a plastic or reusable silicone bag. Squish the bag around until all ingredient are evenly mixed. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat in marinade.
Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
Heat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken in a shallow baking dish for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for another 12-17 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
For 5-7 oz chicken breasts, bake for 20 minutes total. For 10 oz and larger chicken breasts, bake for at least 25 minutes.
Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
* any plain (unflavoured) yogurt can be used in this recipe, though I recommend a thicker one (like Greek yogurt) if it's available.
** as written, this is not a spicy chicken marinade. You could swap the mild curry powder for a spicy one, or add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne to the marinade to increase the spice.
Marinade may be mixed up 3 days before adding chicken.
Cooked chicken may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Alternative cooking methods:
Marinating time for other proteins:
- grill- I recommend pounding the chicken flat before marinating to ensure it cooks through evenly. Cook over high heat 2 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temp of 155°F
- frying pan- cook in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for 5-7 minutes per side
- air fryer- I recommend pounding the chicken before marinating. Cook at 390°F/ 200°C for 4 minutes + 2 minutes (flipping half way).
- boneless chicken thighs- 2-24 hours marinating time
- shrimp or fish- 30 minutes marinating time
- pork tenderloin- at least 24 hours to marinate
- tofu- press first, then marinate for 2-24 hours
Serving: 1/2 chicken breast (3.5 oz) | Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g