Crock Pot Beer Chicken Taco Salad With Cilantro Vinaigrette
This creative taco salad has slow cooked beer chicken and a tangy cilantro vinaigrette. It's an easy, fresh and delicious dinner! Perfect for those days when you don't want to turn on your oven.
Beer Chicken (see *notes)
- 1 lb chicken breasts (roughly 2 chicken breasts; boneless thighs work as well)
- 6 oz beer (I recommend a light beer)
- 0.5 teaspoon chili powder
- 4.3 oz can of green chiles
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey (maple syrup or brown sugar may be swapped)
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups tortilla chips (or strips)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1-2 avocados (cubed)
- jalapeno slices (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- red onion (minced; optional)
Place the chicken breasts, beer, chili powder, green chiles, salt and pepper into a small (2.5 quart) slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Cook on low 3-4 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks or a hand mixer.
Toss with cooking liquid and enjoy!
Toss the vegetables and chicken with the cilantro vinaigrette.
Serve with nachos, sour cream, guacamole and/or salsa.
*You will need a small (2.5 quart) slow cooker to cook a single pound of chicken; otherwise I'd advise doubling the recipe and cooking in a 6 quart slow cooker
Meal Prep Tips
- leftover chicken may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Ingredient prep- You can prep the vinaigrette, chicken, lettuce, cheese, corn and black beans up to 4 days ahead, to make putting it all together super easy.
- For jar salads- layer in a 1 quart jar in the following order: vinaigrette, chicken, corn, black beans, cheese, cherry tomatoes, romaine. Keep tortilla chips separate. Shake out into a bowl, toss it all up in the dressing and enjoy. Keeps for up to 4 days before serving.
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 588mg | Potassium: 523mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 26.6mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.8mg