Cream Cheese Swirl Blackberry Coffee Cake
I'm just going to say it: this is the absolute BEST blackberry coffee cake out there! Tender and soft, with juicy blackberries, a tangy cream cheese swirl, and crumb topping. Perfect to serve after dinner or with a cup of tea (or coffee).
Servings: 8 -10
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (fluffed, spooned + levelled; 188 g, plus ¼ cup (31g) extra, for pan)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- ⅓ cup butter (melted (75 g))
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint blackberries (roughly 2 ½ cups; see *notes)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz block of cream cheese (brought to room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Spray a 9-inch round springform pan, then add ¼ cup all purpose flour. Pat the pan to coat with flour. Discard excess flour and set pan aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar and lime zest.
In a microwave-safe dish, melt the butter. Allow to cool 3-5 minutes, then mix in the egg, milk and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until completely combined.
Gently fold in the blackberries.
Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan.
Prepare the Cream Cheese Layer:
Prepare the Crumble Topping:
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Cut the butter in using a fork or a pastry tool, until crumbly.
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake.
Bake the cake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out cleanly. 40 minutes was perfect in my oven.
Allow to cool 15-20 minutes before removing cake from the pan and serving.
- feel free to swap the blackberries with similar sized (or smaller) berries: raspberries, blueberries and chopped strawberries may all work well
Whole cake- wrap the whole cake in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible (you can suck it out using a straw). Freeze for up to 3 months.
Individual slices- wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- this cake may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Because of the cream cheese it must be refrigerated.
- store in an air tight container or cover in plastic wrap
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 376mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 1005IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 2mg