One Pot Healthy Cajun Chicken Orzo
This one pot healthy cajun chicken orzo is packed full of veggies and ready in 30 minutes. Plus: only one pot to wash up!
- 8 oz uncooked orzo 1 ⅓ cups
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 19 oz can of diced tomatoes + juices see note 1
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1 cup snap peas cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 chicken breasts cut into ½ inch cubes, see note 2
- 2 tablespoons cajun spice see note 3
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
Combine all ingredients except the parmesan in a large pot.
Bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 or so minutes, or until pasta is cooked through.
Stir in the parmesan cheese, and serve.
1- a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes also works in this recipe
2- it's crucial that chicken breast is cut into small ½ inch cubes to ensure it cooks through properly. You may swap for boneless chicken thighs and cook for the same amount of time.
3- spiciness of cajun spice can vary greatly between brands, so proceed with caution! I used Club House brand for this recipe, which was quite mild. Consider starting with ¼ to ½ the amount, adding more in at the end to taste.
Storage + Reheat
- Fridge– store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Reheat– heat *gently* in the microwave or in a pot. This means, do not use high power and do not stir vigorously. This orzo can become quite delicate after sitting gin the sauce for a few days.
- Freezer– orzo does not freeze/that well. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Serving: 1/6 batch | Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1134mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g