Pesto Chicken Pita Recipe
This easy pesto chicken pita recipe is classic and delicious. Roasted vegetables and chicken, tossed in pesto, and served in a pita pocket! A family favorite recipe that works great meal prep!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces; see *notes
- ½ red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ⅓ cup pesto
- 4 pita pockets sturdy
Prepare - Heat oven to 425°F. Toss the chicken and veggies with olive oil and salt & pepper, and arrange on 1-2 sheet pans.
Roast - Roast for 10 minutes, flip everything and return to the oven. Cook the veggies for 5-10 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
Combine - Place roasted chicken and vegetables in a large bowl with the pesto, stir to coat.
Assemble - Spoon into pita halves and enjoy
*roughly 2 large chicken breasts; boneless skinless chicken thighs may also be used with the same cook time.
Nutritional Information: 2 pita pocket halves + ¼ of filling
Storage + Meal Prep
- Pre-chop: Vegetables & chicken may be pre-chopped up to 4 days ahead (check the expiry date on chicken to make sure this storage time is OK).
- Pre-cook: Follow through step 5, and allow filling to cool. Portion out into four 2 cup meal prep containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Re-heat filling until steaming hot.
- For optimal freshness - Don't cut the pita in half until just prior to serving. Open the pocket and spoon filling into the pocket.
Serving: 2pita halves | Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 609mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g