Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Quinoa Stew
Hearty, healthy, and filled with delicious southwestern flavor, this slow cooker black bean, quinoa and sweet potato stew is so easy to prep! Works great as a weeknight dinner, and can be meal prepped in multiple ways.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes; see note 1
- 11 oz can of corn 341 mL; drained
- 19 oz can black beans 540 mL; drained and rinsed
- 19 oz can diced tomatoes 540mL; including juices
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4-5 cups stock vegetable or chicken
- ⅔ cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- additional salt start with ¼ teaspoon
Place all ingredients into the insert of a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. This makes a big batch and your slow cooker will be quite full.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Add the lime juice and additional salt if necessary. Serve with bread, cheese or yogurt.
1- roughly 1 medium-sized sweet potatoes or 2-3 small ones
To cook in the Instant Pot, reduce the quinoa to ½ cup
Cook 8 min with 10 min natural pressure release (be very careful when releasing the pressure)
The 6 quart was quite full so it might be better cooked in an 8 quart IP
- fridge- portion out into meal prep containers or store in one larger container. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- freezer- portion out into glass or plastic freezer jars. Leave ¼ of the jar empty to account for expansion, and leave lids off until fully frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Crockpot freezer meal
Freeze before cooking for an easy 'dump and go' meal:
- Heat individual portions in the microwave until steaming hot.
- Heat larger portions on the stove over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Assemble all ingredients (except for the quinoa) in a gallon-sized freezer bag, reusable silicone bag, or meal prep container.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely, dump into the slow cooker, stir in the quinoa, and cook.
- shredded cheese
- yogurt or coconut yogurt
- tortilla chips or strips
- cilantro or green onions
- bread or crackers
Serving: 1/8 of batch | Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 404mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g