Vegan African Peanut Stew (Slow Cooker)
Slow cooker African peanut stew is vegan comfort food at it's finest! With chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter. You can assemble this ahead and freeze as a crockpot freezer meal.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 15 oz can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (including juices)
- 4-5 cups sweet potatoes (cut into 2 inch cubes; roughly 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch ginger (finely grated)
Just before serving
- 4 handfulls spinach (chopped)
Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Stir in the spinach and cook for 15 minutes.
Mash the sweet potato until the stew is thickened. Enjoy!
To assemble ahead and freeze
Combine all ingredients except for the stock and spinach in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw completely and cook according to the directions above.
Serving: 1/8 of batch | Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 807mg | Potassium: 613mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 196.7% | Vitamin C: 10.7% | Calcium: 7.8% | Iron: 16.6%