Portuguese Freezer Chicken Bake
Portuguese freezer bake is filled with nutritious ingredients: chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes, onions and a delicious tomato sauce inspired by Portuguese flavors. Easy to prep ahead and freeze, then thaw and bake for dinner.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 50 mins
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons peri peri sauce (or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 cloves minced)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 white potatoes (cut in 1 inch pieces)
- 8 small carrots (cut in half lengthwise; cut in half vertically if they are too long)
- 1/2 red onion (cut into large wedges)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (roughly 10)
Heat oven to 400°F.
In a large casserole dish (8 x 13 or larger), mix together the fire roasted tomatoes and all other seasonings together. Toss the potatoes, carrots, onion and chicken thighs in the sauce.
Cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 1h15 minutes. Check on the veggies, and return to the oven uncovered for another 15 minutes if they are still not quite done.
Serve with lemon wedges and fresh bread (or rice).
To assemble ahead and freeze
Combine all ingredients in a good quality gallon-sized freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
To cook, thaw completely before following the directions above.
Serving: 1/6 of batch | Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 906mg | Potassium: 954mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 15315IU | Vitamin C: 19.5mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 4.8mg