Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Cashew chicken stir fry is a simple yet flavorful weeknight meal that works great for reheat meal prep lunches! Made with a hoisin sesame sauce and served with broccoli and rice.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes; see note 1
- Salt + pepper
- 4-6 cups broccoli florets see note 2
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce I recommend reduced sodium; see note 3
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil see note 4
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch see note 5
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cashews
- green onions ¼ cup or to your preference
Combine- in a ½ pint mason jar or salad dressing shaker, combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sesame oil, cornstarch and garlic. Shake until combined.
Cook broccoli- add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan and heat over medium heat. Add the broccoli and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a clean plate.
Cook chicken- add another 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through and no longer pink.
Add sauce- shake up sauce, then pour over the chicken. Stir for 1-2 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
Garnish- remove from heat, sprinkle with green onions and cashews, and serve with the broccoli over rice.
- Swap protein for boneless skinless chicken thighs, tofu, or pork
- Broccoli can be swapped for cauliflower, a stir fry veggie blend, or pretty much any vegetable such as bell peppers, spinach, broccolini, or bok choy
- for gluten-free, swap for tamari, coconut aminos or liquid soy seasoning
- toasted or un-toasted sesame oil both work fine
- cornstarch may be substituted with an equal volume of arrowroot starch
- Fridge - portion out with rice and broccoli, and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat - heat in the microwave until steaming hot.
- Freezer - based on our experience, this recipe should freeze well, however, we have not tested this. You could try freezing with rice for up to 3 months.
- Thaw - in the fridge overnight before reheating in the microwave.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 265mg | Potassium: 592mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 624IU | Vitamin C: 82mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2mg