Instant Pot Salsa Chicken (6 ingredients)
Instant Pot salsa chicken comes out so juicy and flavorful, with just a handful of ingredients! Use it up in tacos, in wraps, on pizza, or just enjoy as is.
- 2 cups salsa see note 1
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast see note 2
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Combine- In the inner pot of the Instant Pot, combine the salsa, water, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir until well combined, then add the chicken breasts and turn to coat.
Cook- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to the 'sealing' position, then pressure cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. When the cooking cycle has completed, carefully release the pressure immediately (quick pressure release).
Shred- Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean bowl, and shred using two forks or a hand mixer.
Toss- Return shredded chicken to the Instant Pot. Add lime juice, and toss everything up in the sauce. Enjoy!
1- we tested this recipe with two different brands of medium-spiced chunky salsa
2- swap for boneless skinless chicken thighs, increasing the cook time to 10 minutes with a quick pressure release.
3- nutritional information is for ⅛ of the batch, roughly 4 oz of shredded chicken
Storage & reheating
- Combine the chicken, salsa, water, chili powder, cumin and salt in a ½ gallon or larger freezer bag or silicone bag, or an 8 cup meal prep container. Stir to combine, and squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely, then cook as directed in the recipe card.
- Cool completely, then portion out into an air tight container or reusable silicone bag.
- Store in the fridge (4 days) or the freezer (3 months).
- Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot, or in a frying pan, using tongs to stir and flip it up, until steaming hot.
Serving: 4oz (note 3) | Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 753mg | Potassium: 640mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 653IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg