Smoky White Bean and Kale Soup
This hearty, rustic soup is made with simple ingredients like kale and buttery white beans, cooked in a smoked paprika broth. Smoked paprika is amazing for adding a deep smoky flavour to your dishes. It adds heat but isn’t spicy. This soup hits the spot on chilly fall days when you’re cozied up on the couch with a blanket.
Servings: 4 -6
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves stripped from the stems)
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili flakes adjust to taste
- 38 oz cannellini beans (two 19 ounce/540 mL cans, rinsed and drained or 4 cups cooked cannellini beans)
- 3 cups kale (loosely packed stemmed and roughly chopped)
- ½ lemon (juiced)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour in the vegetable stock, add the bay leaf, thyme, paprika, salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and cannellini beans, and bring to a gentle boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and tender, stirring halfway through.
Remove the bay leaf. Transfer 4 cups of the soup to a high-speed blender and purée for 10 seconds. Pour the puréed soup back in to the pot. Stir in the kale and lemon juice and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Ladle the hot soup into bowls. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1597mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 7433IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 174mg | Iron: 5mg