Healthy Blueberry Bread
This healthy blueberry bread is made with whole grains and no refined sugar. Bursting with fresh blueberries in every bite, and with a hint of lemon flavor, this is delicious with a cup of coffee.
Servings: 10 slices
- ¼ cup coconut oil (52 g)
- ½ cup maple syrup (130 g; honey may be swapped in)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (124 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk (54 g; regular dairy milk or buttermilk may be swapped in)
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (180 g; fluffed, spooned & levelled; see *)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (+ more for tops)
- 1 lemon (zested)
Heat oven to 325°F. Spray and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, set aside.
In a large glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil. Stir in all remaining wet ingredients.
If coconut oil solidifies, pop the bowl back into the microwave and melt in 20 second increments until smooth.
Stir in the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
Fold in the fresh blueberries and lemon zest.
Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and scatter extra blueberries on the top of the batter.
Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out cleanly from the middle of the loaf.
Allow to cool completely. Run a knife around the outside of the pan to loosen, then invert the pan and give it a couple of firm smacks to release the loaf from the pan.
* white whole wheat flour may be substituted for:
- all purpose flour
- 50% all purpose 50% whole wheat flour
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 109mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 0.6mg