Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
These morning glory breakfast cookies are loaded with healthy ingredients including carrots, ground flax, applesauce and eggs. The perfect portable meal prep breakfast or snack on the go!
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted, 52 g; see note 1
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce 128 g
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup honey 60 g; see note 2
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup rolled oats 46 g
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour 62 g; see note 3
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup ground flax 26 g; see note 4
- 1 carrot finely shredded, ½ cup, 40 g
- ½ cup shredded coconut sweetened coconut recommended
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
Pre-heat- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Wet ingredients- In a microwave- safe dish, melt the coconut oil. Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, honey and eggs.
Dry ingredients- Measure out the rolled oats, white whole wheat flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and flax, and mix into the wet ingredients until well combined. Fold in the carrots, coconut, dried cranberries and pecans.
Form the cookies- Using a measuring cup, scoop ¼ cup portions onto the parchment paper and pat into circular 'cookies' about ½ inch tall with a spoon. The batter will be soft.
Bake- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the tops of the cookies spring back when touched.
1- we recommend using refined coconut oil to avoid a strong coconut flavor; it may be possible to swap for butter
2- honey may be substituted for maple syrup
3- we made this recipe with white whole wheat flour, but you can swap with 100% all purpose flour or a mixture of 50% all purpose/50% whole wheat. Gluten-free and other alternative flours have not been tested
4- not only does this ingredient add protein to the cookies, but it's important to help them maintain their structure. I do not recommend leaving it out.
- Cool completely, then store in an air tight container; place parchment or wax paper between cookies to prevent them from sticking together.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days; they may also be freezer-friendly.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1185IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg