Vegan Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
This vegan slow cooker tikka masala is PERFECT for meal prep! It makes an easy freezer crockpot meal, and leftovers keep (and can be frozen) for healthy plant-based lunches.
Servings: 6 servings
- 14.5 oz tomato sauce 1 can; note 1
- 1 cup coconut yogurt dairy yogurt works but may not be frozen
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 block extra firm tofu 350 g/ 12.5 oz; chopped into cubes; note 2
1 hour before serving
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped into very small florets; note 3
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
Combine - In the base of a 6 quart slow cooker, stir together the tomato sauce, coconut yogurt, and all spices. Cut tofu into ½ inch cubes, and stir into the sauce.
Slow cook - on low for 5 hours.
Add veggies - Add in 2 cups of very small cauliflower florets and 1 cup frozen peas. Cook on low for 1 more hour.
Serve - Stir in cilantro leaves and enjoy with naan bread or served over rice.
- refers to pureed tomatoes, not ketchup
- no need to press; firm tofu should also work
- if using frozen cauliflower, allow an extra hour to cook
- nutritional information excludes rice or naan bread
Leftovers of this vegan slow cooker tikka masala store and reheat really well! We like to portion out with rice for easy single-serve lunches. Here's how to store leftovers for meal prep:
- Combine all ingredients except for vegetables in a freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
- Refrigerate - let cool completely, then portion out with rice into 2 cup meal prep containers. Store in sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze - let cool completely, then portion out into freezer containers with rice. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw - if frozen, thaw completely before reheating.
- Reheat - in the microwave until steaming hot.
Serving: 1/6 of the batch (note 4) | Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 550mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 31.8mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2.1mg