How to Make Turkey Stock
How to make turkey stock - this is the perfect way to use up every last bit of your turkey. Homemade stock made with vegetables and herbs has so much flavor and is packed full of nutrients!
Servings: 8 cups
- 1-2 lbs turkey bones see note 1
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 celery rib chopped coarsely
- 1 carrot chopped coarsely
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 head garlic top sliced off
- scraps from turkey dinner prep carrot peels, celery leaves, etc.
- leftover herbs from turkey dinner prep
- 8 cups water or to cover all ingredients
Combine - in a large stock pot (8-12 quarts), add all ingredients including turkey bones, sea salt, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, leftover veggie scraps such as carrot peels, celery leaves, and leftover herbs from turkey dinner prep. Cover with water.
Simmer - simmer for 2 hours- I leave the lid ajar so it doesn't over-reduce. Add more water as needed to keep ingredients covered. see note 2 for slow cooker/instant pot directions
Strain & portion - cool slightly, then pour through a colander, collecting the turkey stock in a large bowl or a jar. Toss all veggie solids in the compost.
1- use 1-2 lbs turkey bones for this recipe. They don't need to be cleaned off, you can include skin, cartilage, and scraps. If you don't have space in your pot, you can distribute ingredients between two pots.
2- you may cook in a slow cooker (low for 8 hours) or an Instant Pot (30 minutes at high pressure followed by a full natural pressure release- 1 hour).
Fridge - store in an airtight 2 quart jar or jar up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freezer - freeze for up to 3 months.
- Portion out cooled turkey stock into freezer bags or mason jars.
- JARS - Leave ¼ of the jar for expansion and the lid ajar until frozen solid. BAGS- squeeze out as much air as possible and freeze flat.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 9kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1295IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.1mg