Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Butternut Squash
Brussels sprouts gratin with butternut squash is so delicious, even the pickiest of eaters will love it! Made with a luxurious cheese sauce and twice baked with melted gruyere cheese on top. A perfect side dish for your holiday or Thanksgiving table.
Servings: 8 servings
- 24 oz brussels sprouts
- 20 oz butternut squash, peeled & chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsalted butter 21 g
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves crumbled
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour 23 g
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 ¼ cups shredded cheese divided; mozzarella works but go for gruyere if you can
Prepare veggies - Heat oven to 425°F. Trim ends off brussels sprouts and slice them in half. Toss with the butternut squash in olive oil, salt & pepper.
Roast - Arrange in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish and roast for 25-35 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
Prepare Cheese Sauce - While vegetables are roasting, make the cheese sauce: In a medium pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the sage, nutmeg, salt, and flour. Add the milk gradually over the course of several minutes, whisking so that the flour doesn't clump. Cook until slightly thickened, then stir in ¾ cup of the shredded cheese. Remove from heat when the cheese has melted in and sauce is thickened.
Combine - Once vegetables are tender, pour the sauce over top. Toss veggies in sauce, then sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
Bake - Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
Storage + Reheating
- Fridge - Store in a covered container in the fridge.
- Reheat - Heat in the microwave until steaming hot or bake in a covered casserole dish in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until warmed through.
Serving: 1/8 of the batch | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 366mg | Potassium: 634mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8390IU | Vitamin C: 87.2mg | Calcium: 194mg | Iron: 1.8mg