Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Healthy pumpkin bread is perfectly moist, loaded with pumpkin flavor, and has chocolate chips in every bite! With no refined sugar, just a touch of coconut oil, and whole wheat flour, it’s a healthier treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- ¼ cup coconut oil 52 g
- 1 cup pumpkin puree 256 g; see note 1
- ½ cup maple syrup 130 g; honey may be swapped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk or dairy milk; 54 g
- ¾ cup all purpose flour fluffed, spooned & levelled; 90 g
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour fluffed, spooned & levelled; 90 g
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips plus a few extra for the top
Preheat - Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch baking pan and set aside.
Wet ingredients - In a large glass measuring bowl, melt the coconut oil. Stir in the remaining wet ingredients including the pumpkin puree, vanilla, eggs and milk. Mix until smooth. If your coconut oil starts to solidify when you add the other wet ingredients, pop it in the microwave and heat in 20 second increments until it is liquified again. Do not heat vigorously as we don’t want to cook our eggs.
Dry ingredients- Add all dry ingredients including all purpose and whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and powder, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon to the same bowl. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Bake - Scrape the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Scatter a few extra chocolate chips on the top. Bake for 55 minutes- 1 h 5 m, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool - Allow to cool completely. Run a knife around the outside of the pan to loosen, then invert the pan and give it a couple of firm smacks to release the loaf from the pan.
1- I recommend store bought pumpkin puree for this recipe; do not confuse it with pumpkin pie filling
2- I used a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan for this recipe. If you have an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan, keep an eye on the pumpkin bread, it may be baked through sooner (start checking at 40 min)
To make mini muffins
- grease a mini muffin pan with oil
- add around 1.5 tablespoons batter per muffin
- bake at 325°F for 15-20 min...mine were perfect at 18 min
- Fridge - cool completely, then wrap in parchment paper and store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer - cool completely, then wrap in parchment paper and store in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Note: this pumpkin bread will dry out a touch after freezing, but warming it up and serving with butter helps to restore some of that moisture.
- Reheat - heat in the microwave until warmed through and serve with butter. This is optional, but extra delicious!
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 3870IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1.4mg