How to Cook Rice (perfect + fluffy, every time!)
Showing you exactly how to cook rice with step by step photos! There are three important steps to ensure you get perfect, fluffy rice each and every time, whether you are making long grain white or brown rice.
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 2 cups water or broth; see note 1
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar white or apple cider vinegar work
Rinse- In the bottom of a 4 L/quart pot, cover the rice with 2-3 inches of water. Swirl until the water becomes cloudy and pour off into the sink (you might want to pour through a colander). Repeat until water is not cloudy (5-6 times for long grain white rice, 1-2 times for long grain brown rice).
Combine- After rinsing and discarding extra liquid from the rice, add the water/broth, salt and vinegar to the pot. Make sure no rice is stuck to the side and that it is fully submerged in the liquid.
Cooking- Place the lid on the pot and bring to a boil (look for steam coming out from under the lid). Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes (*for cook times of other types of rice, see note 1). Do not lift the lid or stir the rice.
Rest- When 15 minutes are up, remove from the burner to a cold burner or a trivet. Allow the pot to sit for another 10 minutes. Do not lift the lid until the time is up.
Fluff- When the 10 minutes rest time is up, remove the lid, fluff rice with a fork, and serve. You can also stir 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil into the pot when you do this step.
1- Water ratios/cook times for long grain rice:
Food safety tips, storage and reheating
- jasmine rice– 1 cup rice : 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid; 12 min cook time, 10 min rest time
- basmati rice– 1 cup rice : 2 cups cooking liquid; 15 min cook time, 10 min rest time
- American long grain rice– 1 cup rice : 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid; 12 min cook time, 10 min rest time
- long grain brown rice– 1 cup rice : 2 cups cooking liquid; 40 min cook time, 10 min rest time
Adding extra flavor
- do not let rice sit at room temperature for extended periods; get it into the fridge within 2 hours of cooking
- store in an air tight container for up to 4 days
- reheat until steaming hot
- do not reheat more than once.
- swap water for chicken or vegetable stock
- always add salt to the cooking liquid
- sauté a finely chopped onion or 2 cloves of garlic before adding other ingredients
- sauté the rice until golden in a little oil or butter (5 or so minutes until it develops a golden brown color) before adding the cooking liquid
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 723mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.6mg