Healthy Zucchini Bread
Healthy zucchini bread is perfectly moist, slightly sweet, with bites of chocolate chips and walnuts. With no refined sugar, just a touch of coconut oil, and whole wheat flour, it's a healthier treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
Servings: 10 slices
- 1 ½ cups zucchini shredded; firmly packed; 160 g
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour 180 g
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted 52 g
- ½ cup apple sauce 130 g
- ½ cup maple syrup 130 g; or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup walnuts chopped; 58 g
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips 48 g
Heat oven to 325°F. Spray and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, set aside.
Shred zucchini on a box grater. Place on a paper towel and cover with a second paper towel. Allow to sit for ten minutes, and gently press to transfer extra liquid to the paper towels.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil. Stir in the applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs. If coconut oil starts to solidify, microwave the liquids for 20 seconds at a time until coconut oil is melted again.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until no flour clumps remain.
Fold in the zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
Transfer to the loaf pan and bake for 55- 1h5m, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely. Run a knife around the outside of the pan to loosen, then invert the pan and give it a couple of firm smacks to release the loaf from the pan.
I used a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan similar to this one. If you have an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan, keep an eye on the zucchini bread, it may be baked through sooner (start checking at 40 min)
Swaps + variations
- Fridge- store for up to 1 week wrapped in plastic or beeswax wrap in the fridge.
- Freeze- for up to 3 months.
- Thaw- overnight in the fridge.
- zucchini- swap for yellow squash, shredded carrots or shredded apples
- walnuts- swap for pecans, almonds, or any other nut you’d like (or leave them out!)
- flour- swap the whole wheat flour for white whole wheat or all purpose; it has not been tested with gluten-free or any alternative flours
- coconut oil- swap for vegetable oil or butter
- maple syrup- swap for honey
Serving: 1/10 of the loaf | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 3.5mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1.2mg