Our Staple Kale Salad (with cranberries + feta!)
Simple and so tasty, this kale salad has feta cheese, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds all tossed in a tangy lemon vinaigrette. It's our go-to recipe because of the simplicity and perfect blend of salty, sweet, soft and crunchy.
- 8 cups kale loosely packed; washed & torn into bite-sized pieces; see note 1
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon dijon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper
Tear kale into bite-sized pieces (making sure to remove the thick part of the stem). Wash, then spin dry.
In a large bowl, massage the kale with clean hands for 1-2 minutes, until soft and bright green.
Add the feta, cranberries and almonds.
Shake together vinaigrette ingredients. Add to salad and toss. Serve immediately.
This salad keeps *OK* for up to 24 hours, but gets soggy after that. You can prep components ahead and assemble just before serving to save time:
- prepare you kale up to a week ahead (tear, wash, spin to dry and store in a produce saver or a large storage container)
- prepare the dressing 2-3 weeks ahead and store in the fridge
- crumble feta cheese up to 7 days ahead
- cranberries- swap for dried cherries, fresh berries, pear slices, apple slices, peach slices
- feta cheese- swap for bacon, goat cheese, smoked gouda, parmesan crisps
- almonds- swap for sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans
- vinaigrette- swap for balsamic vinaigrette, balsamic reduction, raspberry basil vinaigrette
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 705mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 13440IU | Vitamin C: 161.3mg | Calcium: 280mg | Iron: 2.4mg