Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sweet Potatoes
Overnight breakfast casserole with bacon and sweet potato is a healthy, hearty breakfast for a crowd! Assemble it the night before, refrigerate, then bake it up in the morning.
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 cups sweet potato peeled and shredded (on a box grater)
- 3 bell peppers diced
- 3 jalapenos seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a large casserole dish (9 x 13 or 8 x 13) with oil and set aside.
Cook bacon and allow to cool slightly. Chop into pieces.
Beat the eggs, then stir in the milk, salt and spices.
Add the bacon, vegetables, and one cup of cheese to the casserole dish, then pour the egg mixture over top. Stir everything up and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
At this point, you may cover and refrigerate overnight, or bake immediately.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (mine was ready in 55 minutes). The center will no longer jiggle and will rise slightly when the casserole is finished. Double check that it is cooked in the center by inserting a knife, or checking with an instant read thermometer that it has reached 160°F.
Allow casserole to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Cool casserole completely, and either
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- cover the casserole dish
- portion out individual slices into meal prep containers
- whole casserole- bake uncovered at 350°F for 30-40 min until warmed through
- individual slices- heat in the microwave until steaming hot- wick extra moisture away with a paper towel if necessary
- vegetables- note- vegetables with a high water content (mushrooms, zucchini, etc), should be sauteed before adding to the casserole
- red onions, finely chopped broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms and cauliflower rice
- bacon- swap for crumbled sausage or cubed ham
- sweet potatoes- swap for an equal volume of hash browns, or 4-6 slices day old bread (torn into 1 inch cubes)
- cheese- swap cheddar for pepper jack, mozzarella, feta or even goat cheese
- you can leave out the sweet potatoes for an even lower carb version
- mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, even broccoli (chopped very small) would be great in this casserole!
- swap the bacon for sausage or leave it out all together
- make it paleo by using almond milk and leaving out the cheese...you still get a ton of flavor from the bacon, jalapeno and sweet potato
Serving: 1/8 batch | Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 558mg | Potassium: 470mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9155IU | Vitamin C: 64.4mg | Calcium: 242mg | Iron: 1.9mg