Shortcut Jamaican jerk chicken marinade
Get vibrant, tropical flavors from pantry staples with this shortcut Jamaican jerk chicken marinade! Simple and no food processor or hot peppers needed.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (roughly 2 chicken breasts)
Combine all spices, olive oil and lime juice in a plastic or reusable silicone freezer bag. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat in marinade.
Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
Heat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken in a shallow baking dish for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake for another 12-17 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with fresh mango!
After combining the marinade ingredients with the chicken, place the bag in the freezer immediately. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight, or by immersing the bag in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours.
Cook as directed above.
Marinade may be mixed up 7 days before adding chicken.
Cooked chicken may be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Alternative cooking methods:
Marinating time for other proteins:
- grill- I recommend pounding the chicken flat before marinating to ensure it cooks through evenly. Cook over high heat 2 minutes per side until it reaches an internal temp of 155°F
- frying pan- cook in olive oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet for 5-7 minutes per side
- air fryer- I recommend pounding the chicken before marinating. Cook at 390°F/ 200°C for 4 minutes + 2 minutes (flipping half way).
- boneless chicken thighs- 2-24 hours marinating time
- shrimp or fish- 30 minutes marinating time
- pork tenderloin- at least 24 hours to marinate
- tofu- press first, then marinate for 2-24 hours
Serving: 1/2 chicken breast (3.5 oz) | Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g