Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Nutmeg & Pecan Streusel
This rhubarb coffee cake is bursting with fresh rhubarb and is topped with a crunchy nutmeg and pecan streusel. The perfect way to enjoy rhubarb season!
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour 188g
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg ½ a seed
- ¾ cups brown sugar packed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled for a few minutes
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups rhubarb stalks cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg ½ a nut
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup toasted pecans chopped
Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar. In a separate small bowl, combine beaten egg with buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add rhubarb and mix in.
Pour batter into a parchment-lined 9X9 inch pan. You may need to push the batter into all the corners.
Mix together brown sugar, flour and nutmeg. Add the butter, cutting it in with a pastry tool until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans. Sprinkle evenly over the cake.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serving: 1slice (1/9 of the batch) | Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 367mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 464IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 2mg