Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
Hummus is kicked up a notch with sweet potatoes, chipotle and lime. This hummus is lower in calories than regular hummus, although you'd never know it!
- 11 oz sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes -300 g, roughly 3.5 cups or 2 small sweet potatoes)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 15 oz chickpeas (or 19 oz; drained but reserve the liquid)
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1-2 chipotle pepper (optional; for spice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- chickpea canning or cooking liquid (reserve from can or pot)
Fill a pot with 2 inches of water. Add a steamer basket and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
To a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the lime juice, garlic, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, adobo sauce, chipotle, spices and sweet potato.
Blend on high and drizzle reserved chickpea liquid through the chute until you have the consistency you'd like.
Scrape sides of food processor and process until completely smooth.
Serve with pita bread, veggies or crackers.
Serving: 1/12 of batch | Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3747IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg