Kale Barley Salad with Feta and a Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette
This kale barley salad is full of whole grain, nutrient-rich ingredients that will nourish your body and fill you up! Easy to prepare, vegetarian, and meal prep-friendly!
Servings: 4 servings
- ½ cup pearl barley uncooked; just over 1 cup cooked
- 4 cups kale loosely packed;, stems removed, and cut into small ribbons
- ⅓ cup feta crumbled
- 15 oz chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 avocado cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
Cook Barley - Cook pearl barley according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
Prepare Kale - Wash and chop kale. Give it a massage for 1-2 minutes to remove some of the bitterness.
Combine Dressing - Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
Toss Together Salad- Once barley is cool, toss with the kale, vinaigrette and remaining ingredients. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Add avocado fresh right before serving.
- Divide the vinaigrette between four pint-sized jars.
- Add in the following order: chickpeas, barley, feta, onions, sunflower seeds, kale. Omit avocado or add fresh.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. To serve, shake everything out into a bowl and toss with vinaigrette.
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 828mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6820IU | Vitamin C: 87.1mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 3.6mg