Kale Barley Salad with Feta and a Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette
This barley salad is full of whole grain, nutrient-rich ingredients that will nourish your body. Easy to prepare, vegetarian, and meal prep-friendly!
- ½ cup pearl barley (uncooked; just over 1 cup cooked)
- 4 cups kale (loosely packed, stems removed, and cut into small ribbons)
- ⅓ cup feta (crumbled)
- 15 oz chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 1 avocado (cubed)
- 2-3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons red onion (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
Cook pearl barley according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
Wash and chop kale. Give it a massage for 1-2 minutes to remove some of the bitterness.
Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
Once barley is cool, toss with the kale, vinaigrette and remaining ingredients.
For a Meal Prep Lunch
Divide the vinaigrette between four pint-sized jars.
Add in the following order: chickpeas, barley, feta, onions, sunflower seeds, kale.
Omit avocado or add fresh.
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. To serve, shake everything out into a bowl and toss with vinaigrette.
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 828mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6820IU | Vitamin C: 87.1mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 3.6mg