Bourbon-Sugared French Toast Donuts
Boozy breakfast meets donuts with these bourbon sugar french toast donuts! Soft, tender cake donuts that taste like french toast are dipped in bourbon-infused sugar. A fun and creative baking project!
Servings: 12 donuts
French Toast Donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (200 g)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter (28 g; melted; salted or unsalted are fine)
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- ¼ cup butter (55 g; melted; salted or unsalted are fine)
French Toast Donuts
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-count donut pan and use a paper towel to distribute oil evenly. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking powder.
In a separate medium bowl, combine the maple extract, eggs, sugar, buttermilk and melted butter.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and combine until smooth.
Spoon mixture into the donut pan cavities. If you are having troubles with this you could try using an icing bag. Don't fill more than ⅔ full.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, donuts will spring back when touched when they are ready.
Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
While donuts are cooling, combine bourbon and sugar in a container with a lid, and shake for a minute, or until they are completely combined.
Brush donuts with melted butter, then dip them into the bourbon sugar.
Donuts will last in a sealed container for up to 3 days (if you can last that long!)
Feel free to swap the bourbon for 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar.
Store in an air tight container with wax paper strips separating the donuts.
- Without toppings- in the fridge for 4 days, in the freezer for 1 month
- With toppings- store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
Serving: 1donut | Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 238IU | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 1mg