Thai Butternut Squash Soup
A simple and healthy vegan Thai butternut squash soup recipe made with lemongrass and coconut milk! Tastes even better on day 2, is gluten- and dairy-free and easy to prep.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups stock (or more; enough to cover the veggies)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (outer leaves removed and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 coconut milk (full fat)
- yogurt or coconut yogurt (to swirl in)
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add the butternut squash, carrots, stock, lemongrass, lime leaves, curry powder and salt.
Cook for 15 minutes, or until butternut squash is soft.
**Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves from the pot**
Stir in the coconut milk, and puree using an immersion blender until smooth.
Reheat gently (do not boil) and serve!
- you can control the thickness of this soup. If you want it thicker, do not fully cover the butternut squash (½- 1 inch below). If you want it thinner as pictured, fully cover the squash
- make sure you remove all lemongrass and lime leaves as they have an unpleasant texture in soups
Serving: 1/4 batch | Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 789mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 20230IU | Vitamin C: 33.9mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 1.5mg