Healthy Strawberry Apple Crumble Muffins
These strawberry apple crumble muffins will satisfy your muffin cravings while keeping things healthy. No butter or oil, half whole wheat flour, and only 140 calories each!
- 1 cup all purpose flour 125g; fluffed, spooned & levelled
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 125g; fluffed, spooned & levelled
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt I used 2%
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk I used 1%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup strawberries cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup apple chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pre-heat oven to 400F. Distribute silicone muffin liners (parchment works as well, but not paper) in a standard-sized muffin tray.
In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, applesauce and greek yogurt. Whisk until no lumps remain. Stir in buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. Batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in apple and strawberries.
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, oatmeal and nutmeg.
Spoon batter evenly into muffin tray. Sprinkle the tops with the crumb topping.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges brown and a toothpick comes out clean. 22 minutes in my oven.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 46mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g