Greek Yogurt Chicken with Saffron and Garlic
This Greek yogurt chicken recipe is simple to prepare, perfectly juicy, and infused with delicious saffron, lemon and garlic flavors. Cook it on the grill or in the oven.
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts roughly 2 large breasts
In a small measuring cup or bowl, stir together the lemon juice and saffron threads. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Combine the lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the saffron/lemon juice and mix together.
*Remove ¼ cup of the yogurt and save to serve over chicken.
Add the chicken to the yogurt mixture and allow to sit for 2-24 hours to marinate.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Place chicken in a shallow baking dish or lined baking sheet, discarding excess yogurt.
Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for 10-15 more minutes (15 minutes for large chicken breasts, 10 for smaller), or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken reads 165°F.
Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving with reserved yogurt sauce.
Store cooled chicken in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat in a covered dish in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.
Other cooking methods
- grill– pound the chicken flat; marinate as directed. See my perfect grilled chicken breast recipe for full details/cook times for grilling.
- air fryer– pound the chicken flat; marinate as directed. Cook at 390°F for 4 minutes + 2 minutes (flipping half way). Full details here.
Serving: 1/2 chicken breast (3.5 oz) | Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 48mg