Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken
Fall apart tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor, this slow cooker sweet chili chicken requires just 6 ingredients! Perfect to use in quesadillas, rice bowls, tacos and more.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts see note 1
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup soy sauce see note 2
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Stir together the sweet chili sauce, chicken stock, salt and soy sauce in the insert of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cook on low for 2 ½-3 ½ hours.
30 minutes before serving, stir together the water & cornstarch. Add to the slow cooker and stir. Do this quickly and get the lid back on as soon as possible.
Turn the slow cooker to high and cook for 20-30 minutes until slightly thickened (keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn).
Pull the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks.
Pour as much sauce as you'd like over the shredded chicken (I used just over half), and stir to coat.
Garnish with cilantro.
1- this is roughly 4 large chicken breasts; swap with boneless skinless chicken thighs and increase the cook time by 1 hour.
2- I recommend using reduced sodium soy sauce. You may swap for coconut aminos, tamari or liquid soy seasoning to make it gluten-free.
Cool completely, then store in an air tight container in the fridge (4 days) or the freezer (3 months).
Heat in a frying pan over medium heat, using tongs to stir and flip the chicken until it is heated through evenly.
Crockpot Freezer Meal
This recipe works to assemble ahead and freeze (before cooking) as a crockpot freezer meal.
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts plus all remaining ingredients (except for the cornstarch and water) in a gallon-sized freezer bag, reusable silicone bag, or meal prep container.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely, then cook as directed above.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 569mg | Sugar: 2g