Hearty Lentil Soup
This lentil soup is thick and hearty, loaded with lentils, vegetables and fresh herbs. A tasty vegan soup recipe that works great for meal prep!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (finely chopped)
- 5 cups stock
- 1 cups brown lentils (dry; uncooked)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 small lemon
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
Add the onion and stir, cooking until translucent, around 7 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the tomato paste; stir to coat onions and garlic, then cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the carrots, celery, stock, lentils, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and salt.
Cover, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils are softened to your liking.
Remove the herbs and bay leaves, and puree. Stir in lemon juice.
- Instant Pot
- Follow sauté directions above using the sauté function of the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Remove bay leaf and herb stems, add lemon juice, and pulse 3-4 times with an immersion blender.
Serving: 1/6 batch | Calories: 210.89kcal | Carbohydrates: 27.72g | Protein: 9.15g | Fat: 7.48g | Saturated Fat: 1.05g | Sodium: 1240.98mg | Potassium: 500.29mg | Fiber: 11.26g | Sugar: 4.97g | Vitamin A: 4015.2IU | Vitamin C: 7.77mg | Calcium: 43.77mg | Iron: 2.92mg