The ONLY Bone Broth Recipe You'll Ever Need
This bone broth recipe is a nutritional powerhouse that is packed full of vitamins, minerals, and collagen. Sharing how to make bone broth with beef or chicken bones, and how to make it on the stove, in a slow cooker, or in an Instant Pot.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 d 30 mins
Servings: 11 cups
- 3-4 lbs beef bones (or 2 lbs chicken/turkey bones; see * in notes)
- 2 carrots (coarsely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (coarsely chopped)
- 1 head garlic (cut in half across the bulb)
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 8-10 cups water (to max fill line, top of slow cooker or top of stock pot)
Roast the bones (beef bones only)
Crockpot- place all ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker. Fill with water to the top of the slow cooker. Cook on low for 24 hours.
Stove Top- place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Fill with water to the top of the pot. Simmer for 24 hours, keeping an eye on water levels.
Instant Pot- place all ingredients in an 8 quart Instant Pot. Fill water to the 'max fill line'. Cook on high pressure for 2 hours, then allow a full natural pressure release. This takes approximately 4 hours total.
Remove fat- beef bone broth
* beef bones- 3-4 lbs; use a variety of bones if possible (large bones with marrow and small knuckle, rib or oxtail bones). Make sure you roast beef bones for improved flavor.
* chicken bones- 2 lbs of bones or 2 small chicken carcasses (include skin, cartilage and scraps; chicken feet are also a great addition as a source of collagen, but are not necessary)
* turkey bones- use 2 lbs of bones and try to use a variety (include skin, cartilage and scraps)
Bones can be collected from roasts and stored in the freezer until you are ready to cook. You can also acquire bones from your butcher or grocery store.
** nutritional information is likely not accurate as the calculator says '0' for the bones. Check commercial bone broth brands for more accurate nutritional info.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1885IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.1mg