Instant Pot Cajun Rice and Sausage
This instant pot cajun rice and sausage is an easy one pot meal made with smoked andouille sausage, basmati rice, carrots, onion, tomatoes, and celery.
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped using a small dice
- 2 celery chopped using a small dice
- ½ onion chopped using a small dice
- 6 andouille sausages 375 g; 13 oz; see note 1
- 3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed; see note 2
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning reduce if you have a spicy brand
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Combine - dump all ingredients including the veggies, andouille sausage, basmati rice, chicken stock, cajun seasoning and salt into the stainless steel inner pot of a 6 quart Instant Pot, and stir until well combined. Make sure no rice is stuck to the side of the pot.(see note 3)
Pressure cook - Put lid on, set valve to 'sealing' and pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. It will take 15-ish minutes to come to pressure. After cooking, allow a full natural pressure release, which takes about 15 minutes.
Serve - Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork. (see note 4)
1 - This recipe requires pre-cooked smoked sausage. We do not recommend substituting for uncooked sausage.
2- This recipe has only been tested with basmati rice. Other types of rice may have different cook times and liquid ratios that won't work here, so swap at your own risk
3- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot; this recipe has not been tested in an 8 quart
4- Serving size is ⅙ of the batch; roughly 1.5 cups
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave until steaming hot and enjoy!
- Measure out all ingredients and combine in a gallon sized freezer bag or large meal prep container.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw for 24-48 hours in the fridge.
- Dump into the stainless steel inner pot of your Instant Pot, stir in the rice, and cook as directed.
Serving: 1.5cups *note 4 | Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 773mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4315IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.6mg