Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This healthier butternut squash soup recipe is thick and creamy, and full of flavor! Ready in under 30 minutes, freezer-friendly, and can be made vegan.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon ground sage)
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 6 cups butternut squash cubes (peeled, seeds scooped out and cut into 3/4 inch cubes)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (dairy, almond milk, coconut milk all work!)
In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until cooked through.
Add the sage and cook for another 1 minute or so, until you can smell it.
Add the carrots, squash, stock, maple syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots and squash are tender.
Add the cup of milk and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy (1-2 minutes). Alternatively, you could *very carefully* transfer to a stand blender and blend until smooth.
Serving: 1/6 of the batch | Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 569mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 18345IU | Vitamin C: 32.2mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 1.3mg