Freezer Asian Peanut Chicken
This easy recipe can be cooked on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot! No pre-cooking means you just need to toss everything in a heavy duty freezer bag.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger (or 1 teaspoon powdered)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups 1 inch sweet potato cubes (1 large sweet potato)
- 2 carrots (peeled & sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (each breast cut in 2 lengthwise for Instant Pot)
- 4 handfulls spinach
- green onions
- rice or cauliflower rice
Instant Pot- Combine all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Pressure cook for 5 minutes; allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes before releasing the rest.
Slow Cooker- Combine all ingredients in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on low.
Add in the spinach and stir into the sauce until it is wilted.
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and return to the sauce.
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
To Prep Ahead and Freeze
In a gallon sized heavy duty freezer bag, add the soy sauce, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, maple syrup, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and water. Squish it all together until it is roughly combined.
Add in the sweet potato cubes, carrots, red onion and chicken.
Squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag and freeze flat.
Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
Nutritional info excludes rice, peanuts or other serving suggestions.
gluten-free: use tamari or coconut aminos in place of soy sauce vegetarian & vegan: swap the chicken for a 15 or 19 oz can of chickpeas (drain and rinse first; they can go in the freezer too!)
low carb: swap maple syrup for 1.5 tsp monk fruit sweetener; omit the sweet potato and carrot.
- Instant Pot- After chicken has cooked, remove from the pot, select 'sautee' an add in some low carb vegetables: green beans, broccoli, zucchini. Cook for 5 or so minutes until softened. Serve with cauliflower rice.
- Slow Cooker- Add low carb veggies such as green beans, broccoli, zucchini during the last 1 hour of cooking.
Serving: 1/6 of batch | Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 559mg | Potassium: 774mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 16110IU | Vitamin C: 6.1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1.3mg