These delicious cocktail meatballs are a breeze to throw together and are full of delicious Thai flavors!
Oh hi! I’m back again with yet another Thai-inspired recipe!
What can I say? I guess I am dreaming of white sand beaches, palm trees, Buddha, and Thai food!
This time, we’re making meatballs, cute little bite-sized meatballs, perfect as an appetizer or a main course.
I found this recipe for Cocktail Meatballs using Fish Sauce from #TKeveryday Recipe Challenge and made it myself with a few teeny tiny tweaks.
This recipe was developed by Elizabeth from Fugal Mom Eh, and I was intrigued by it for a few reasons.
First of all, the meatballs are baked, not fried, which is not only less work, but also healthier. In the past, I’ve had some pretty strange looking baked meatballs that ended up losing their shape in the oven…they kind of looked like melted ice cream scoops. I found out that by baking on a wire rack, these meatballs actually held their shape!
Secondly, Elizabeth uses rolled oats as a binder in these meatballs, which as it turns out, gives the meatballs a really great texture!
The meatballs are rolled, baked, then tossed in Thai Kitchen pineapple chili sauce. We enjoyed our meatballs both with and without the sauce.
The only changes I made to the recipe was to omit the salt, as the fish sauce adds enough seasoning on its own. I also needed to bake them for a touch longer, and rotate my pan half-way through.
This recipe is a breeze to throw together, making this a perfect week-night meal to prepare for the family!
Head on over to Thai Kitchen to see all of the recipes in the #TK Recipe Challenge and vote for your favorite! You could also win some pretty nice looking prizes!
Disclosure: I was compensated for my time by Thai Kitchen, however all opinions are my own.
Thai Cocktail Meatballs
Cocktail meatballs are a staple at get-togethers and potlucks, and these Thai-inspired Cocktail Meatballs are a delicious way to change things up. The complex flavours, provided by the curry paste and fish sauce, are beautifully completed by the pineapple and chili dipping sauce.
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 Cup (120 mL) Rolled Oats
- 1 lb (454 g) Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 Cup (200 mL) Thai Kitchen Pineapple & Chili Dipping Sauce (optional, and to taste)
- Sliced Green Onion and Sesame Seeds to Garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, oats, beef, curry paste, fish sauce, and garlic.
- Set the mixture aside for 5-10 minutes and preheat your oven to 325oF (160oC).
- Form the mixture into tablespoon sized meatballs and place on a cooling rack sitting on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 12 minutes rotate the pan, and bake for another 12 minutes, or until just done.
- (Optional) Pour Pineapple and Chili Dipping Sauce into a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the meatballs in a single layer in the skilled with the sauce and toss to coat each meatball.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Serve while still warm.