An easy and delicious bundt cake packed with raspberries and hazelnuts, and topped with a sweet vanilla glaze.
I’m still here…still pregnant…38 weeks today!
It’s strange how you tell the baby ‘stay inside, stay inside’ until you hit full term (37 weeks). Then your hospitality withers away and you want to serve up an eviction notice.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy poking my belly and talking to the baby. It’s just that lately, my ability to do normal things has gone down the drain.
Such as my ability to climb stairs. When did that become equivalent to climbing a mountain? And putting on socks. Don’t even get me started.
One ‘perk’ that seems to have come along lately is an insane desire to bake. I can’t be bothered to put much energy into dinner (much to Ben’s delight), but there has been an endless parade of muffins, donuts, and cakes coming out of the oven lately.
This latest creation actually started out as raspberry brown butter crumb bars, in which you couldn’t taste the brown butter, and evolved into raspberry hazelnut bundt cake with a brown butter glaze (which you may remember from my chai donuts with brown butter glaze), but the glaze completely overpowered this cake and then was replaced by this simple vanilla glaze.
I am happy with this end result, which is a moist, delicious cake flavored with deep brown sugar, sweet, tart raspberries, and crunchy, um…hazelnutty…hazelnuts. The vanilla glaze adds a touch of sweetness to make this a not-overpoweringly-sweet kind of dessert.
I love the fact that the batter takes only 15 minutes to whip up, at which point you can abandon it to the oven for over an hour. So. Easy.
Bonus points for the fact that it holds up great in the freezer.
Alright, then. Hopefully I will be back soon with another baking creation. Or, you know, that other thing that’s been baking for the past 9 months 😉
Raspberry Hazelnut Bundt Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil see note below
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh raspberries rinsed and dried
- 1 cup hazelnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Pre heat oven to 325 F. Spray a bundt cake pan with spray oil and sprinkle with flour until completely coated.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the hazelnuts and raspberries, mixing gently to not break up the raspberries too much. Spoon into the bundt pan, distributing evenly.
- Bake for one hour and twenty to thirty minutes, until top of cake is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely in pan before transferring to a plate or cake stand.
- In a medium bowl combine icing sugar and vanilla. Beat in milk, one tablespoon at a time, until glaze reaches desired consistency. Transfer to a ziplock bag or icing bag, snip the corner, and drizzle over cake.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.