My new favorite veggie burger is this mushroom and lentil bruschetta burger! Great texture, easy to make, and FULL of flavor.
These mushroom lentil burgers are everything I want in a vegan burger! It took some recipe testing to get this one right but it is there and I know you are going to love it!
These burgers have the perfect texture, thanks to the oats, sunflower seeds, and panko breadcrumbs. I really wanted to infuse these burgers with lots of bruschetta flavors, so there is just a touch of balsamic vinegar in the patties.
While the bruschetta burgers were cooking I chopped up a SUPER simple bruschetta with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, more balsamic, and garlic. So you also get a bit more balsamic flavor from the bruschetta. (If you want to go all out, you could drizzle with balsamic reduction…YUM!)
These flavors were just perfect together, and this isn’t wimpy vegetarian food…this is enough burger to fill up my 6 foot 3 husbands! And he didn’t even have room for sweet potato fries or salad or any side dish.
You’ll love this lentil burger because
- it is an easy vegetarian meal
- the texture is amazing!
- you can cook it on the grill
- it only takes 3o minutes to make
The burger base
This burger starts with cooked brown lentils. I used canned lentils, but if you have dried lentils, you will need to cook them first (find directions here). Note that red lentils will not work in this recipe and other varieties have not been tested.
In addition to brown lentils, we are adding mushrooms, which brings umami and bulks out the burgers, sunflower sees, which bring texture, and rolled oats, which help bring structure and much-needed texture to the burgers. Without the rolled oats and sunflower seeds, these burgers have a delicious flavor, but the texture of mashed potatoes!
To build out the flavors of the burger, in addition to the umami-rich mushrooms, we are adding in Worcestershire sauce, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Together, these ingredients give the burgers flavor depth and dimension.
To give these burgers a distinctive ‘bruschetta’ flavor, we add a topping that is heavy on the tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Consider these toppings completely optional, adding your own favorite toppings as you’d like. I will note that these small toppings make for a messy burger, so you could swap in favor of tomato slices, whole basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
Storage + make-ahead tips
If you’d like, you could make the burger patties ahead and store in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to cook them up:
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Freeze on a baking sheet, then transfer to a reusable bag and freeze for up to 3 months
More Meatless Meals
- Hearty Lentil Soup
- Easy Red Lentil Dal Recipe
- Southwestern Sweet Potato and Lentil Jar Salads
- Vegan Bolognese
- Vegan Crockpot Chili (Freezer)
Mushroom Lentil Bruschetta Burger
Mushroom and Lentil Veggie Burgers:
- 100 g mushrooms 3.5 oz, 6 average cremini
- 1 cup brown lentils canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Panko
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large slices of mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil torn
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 gourmet burger buns
- Spread out a couple of paper towels and arrange the lentils and mushrooms on top. Allow to dry for 10 minutes.
- Place the mushrooms, lentils, garlic, worcestershire, salt, balsamic vinegar, and sunflower seeds in the base of a food processor, and pulse 10 times. Scrape down the sides of the processor, add the rolled oats and pulse 5 more times (or until it looks like the photo above).
- Scrape the contents of the food processor into a large bowl. Stir in the panko and eggs.
- Form ½ cup patties about 1 inch thick. Cook in a non-stick frying pan for 4 minutes, then flip. Cook for 2 more minutes, then place a slice of mozzarella on top and cook for another 2 or so minutes, until cheese is melted and burger is cooked through.
- Bruschetta Stir together all bruschetta ingredients and set aside.