A simple summery salad that combines garden-fresh kale with blueberries and a ginger-lime vinaigrette.
Life is busy.
As in, I don’t know where the hours, or the days seem to go these days.
I mean, how is it already August? What happened to July? And I barely remember last week.
What I need to do is slow down time, and enjoy the last month of summer with the sunshine, fresh cherries and corn, my last few months pregnant, my last few months with Ben as non-parents. We need more picnics, more root beer floats, more reading books on the deck, more kitchen puttering, more lazy mornings.
More of the simple pleasures in life.
Well, in the vein of that thought, today I bring you a super simple salad.
Featuring none other than…you guessed it…kale.
Hey, I can’t help it if kale is the only thing that is actually producing in my garden right now!
This salad has very few ingredients: leafy kale and red onions, which are marinated in the ginger-lime vinaigrette. At the very last minute, blueberries and toasted almonds are tossed in. Fresh and delicious. Simple.
Which is a good thing these days.
Kale & Blueberry Salad with a Lime & Ginger Vinaigrette
A summer side salad that combines blueberries and kale, tossed in a lime and ginger vinaigrette. Super easy and super healthy!
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger (chopped as finely as you can)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups kale ((loose cups); washed, dried, stems removed and ripped into bite sized pieces)
- 1/3 red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for Lime & Ginger Vinaigrette. Mix well.
- Add kale and onion, toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 1-4 hours. Toss occasionally. *This step is important to get the bitterness out of the kale*
- Add blueberries and toasted almonds. Toss and serve immediately.